Greetings and first impressions

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
Eltharion
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Greetings and first impressions

Postby Eltharion » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi ! This is my first post here. First of all, I want to apologize for my english... as I live in Spain.

Well, I've been visiting the forum and finally decided to register. I don't see much activity here, and it's a shame, 'cause this is, imho, a great project. Lately I've started liking tennis a lot, so I looked for a videogame. However, in the past I played some games, but that wasn't what I was looking for. Wanted something more realistic, a simulator, and I ended up here.

So here are some of my impressions after playing the demo for several days:

- It's DAMN hard to get used to, even harder if you play with a keyboard (just as I do), but that's how a simulator should be, and I like it. Once you get used to, it gets a little easier. I have to say that I've played about 20 exhibitions... and my higher score was 4-6. I haven't won a match since I started playing, but I'll keep trying lol.

- Graphics are nice, enough for the game, because what I really wanted was a simulator. The only thing I don't like about graphics is the interface. I think the scoring panel is very simple. Something like scoring panels you see on TV when a game finishes would be really nice. Just an opinion, though. Since this is a beta, I suppose there will be a lot of improvements, so that doesn't worry me too much.

- LOVE the editor. I haven't got much to say about this, maybe the only thing I don't like is that you can raise all your stats to 100, creating an all-round character. But I really don't know how you could balance this. Maybe with a career mode, or something like that.

- Serving was one of the hardest things to master. When you score 3 aces in a row, you feel like "wow, I'm a master", but that's not that easy, and when you miss your first serve it's very hard to win that point. You may think "well, that's what happens in real life", and of course you're right. But the only way to make sure you won't miss the 2nd is to serve with a very very weak topspin shot to the center of the square ('cause if you want to aim for the corners you'll probably miss too), which leaves the ball high enough for the opponent to hit it with a strong shot, and that point is almost finished. Serving should be a little easier, not much... or maybe it's just me and I have to practise more :P

And well, I also found a "bug". It happened to me just once. I was serving, and the ball ended up right under the net. The game stopped there. Didn't crashed, just couldn't keep playing.

So, overall, I like this game a lot, and I'm looking forward for next updates, and possibly buy the game. Great work! And again, sorry for my english ^^.

David

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Greetings and first impressions

Postby kschoice » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Eltharion wrote:Hi ! This is my first post here. First of all, I want to apologize for my english... as I live in Spain.

Really nothing to apologize for, honestly.

Eltharion wrote:Well, I've been visiting the forum and finally decided to register. I don't see much activity here, and it's a shame, 'cause this is, imho, a great project. Lately I've started liking tennis a lot, so I looked for a videogame. However, in the past I played some games, but that wasn't what I was looking for. Wanted something more realistic, a simulator, and I ended up here.

Glad you did end up here, and you decided to post. I hope it will encourage more people to do so.

Eltharion wrote:So here are some of my impressions after playing the demo for several days:

- It's DAMN hard to get used to, even harder if you play with a keyboard (just as I do), but that's how a simulator should be, and I like it. Once you get used to, it gets a little easier. I have to say that I've played about 20 exhibitions... and my higher score was 4-6. I haven't won a match since I started playing, but I'll keep trying lol.

I'm really impressed by that. Keyboard support is there mostly to allow people to try the game even if they don't have a pad available. I take that as a great accomplishment. By the way, if you or someone around you owns a Xbox 360, be aware that the pads have been successfully tested to be used for playing Full Ace.

Eltharion wrote:- Graphics are nice, enough for the game, because what I really wanted was a simulator. The only thing I don't like about graphics is the interface. I think the scoring panel is very simple. Something like scoring panels you see on TV when a game finishes would be really nice. Just an opinion, though. Since this is a beta, I suppose there will be a lot of improvements, so that doesn't worry me too much.

It is obvious (I guess) that graphics quality was not our primary objective with Full Ace, even if we wanted it to look reasonably good. That doesn't mean we don't intend to improve it with future updates, but we remain focused on gameplay aspects first.
The scoring panel as it is is pretty much what you would expect on TV during play. I agree a bigger, fancier scoring panel would be nice to show between games, and I have that in mind. Additionally, you now have access to in-depth statistics in the pause screen.

Eltharion wrote:- LOVE the editor. I haven't got much to say about this, maybe the only thing I don't like is that you can raise all your stats to 100, creating an all-round character. But I really don't know how you could balance this. Maybe with a career mode, or something like that.

Career mode is meant to be included in the game. As for the player database, I feel like the player is responsible for his own balancing of the challenge he wants to experience. When it comes to online multiplayer or things like that, we will think of other ways to prevent from abuse.

Eltharion wrote:- Serving was one of the hardest things to master. When you score 3 aces in a row, you feel like "wow, I'm a master", but that's not that easy, and when you miss your first serve it's very hard to win that point. You may think "well, that's what happens in real life", and of course you're right. But the only way to make sure you won't miss the 2nd is to serve with a very very weak topspin shot to the center of the square ('cause if you want to aim for the corners you'll probably miss too), which leaves the ball high enough for the opponent to hit it with a strong shot, and that point is almost finished. Serving should be a little easier, not much... or maybe it's just me and I have to practise more :P

Actually, it was that tough for you to serve mainly because you used the keyboard. I just realized with your feedback that keyboard doesn't allow "in-between" aiming when serving, which leads to the defects you're pointing. I will try to address that shortly and release a new demo in that respect, so stay tuned.

Eltharion wrote:And well, I also found a "bug". It happened to me just once. I was serving, and the ball ended up right under the net. The game stopped there. Didn't crashed, just couldn't keep playing.

It is something I encountered too. It should be fixed in the following versions of the game.

Eltharion wrote:So, overall, I like this game a lot, and I'm looking forward for next updates, and possibly buy the game. Great work! And again, sorry for my english ^^.

David

We will be glad to have you as one of our first customers. Commercial release is expected during January :D

AZone
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby AZone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:33 am

Hello! My first impressions are mostly positive. I am not an experienced virtual tennis player. I played only one tennis game before, about 8-10 years ago on my cousin's old Commodore 64. About a week ago I tried Virtua Tennis 2009 and was somewhat disappointed. Well, SEGA always had passion for easy arcades that are too boring for most adult players. I like harder games where I need to learn many things and practice a lot. Full Ace Tennis gave me highly positive feelings when I tried Tutorial mode. I find aiming the most challenging part of the game. During Exhibition games I get tons of outs and other aiming related errors and eventually lose every single game/set. I guess this is the thing that I will have to learn hard way.
:lol:
As a strong supporter of simulators in any gaming genre I greatly appreciate Full Ace Tennis. I will definitely keep practicing if I have enough time for it. This game deserves attention. Honestly, I think $18 is a very low price. This simulator costs more. I would really prefer to see its further development, and I think developers should charge more, or at least charge extra for every other major update like going from v1 to v2 and so on. This project fully deserves it.

T-Duke
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby T-Duke » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:38 am

Hi! FaT fans are not so numerous at moment but we are well fierce :D
I suggest you to join us on line as soon you can and to "advertise" this great game in any spanish language pc-game forum you know or be member.

see u on line :)

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:59 pm

AZone wrote:As a strong supporter of simulators in any gaming genre I greatly appreciate Full Ace Tennis. I will definitely keep practicing if I have enough time for it. This game deserves attention. Honestly, I think $18 is a very low price. This simulator costs more. I would really prefer to see its further development, and I think developers should charge more, or at least charge extra for every other major update like going from v1 to v2 and so on. This project fully deserves it.

As explained on our website, we'd rather convince new players than making the same players pay again for upgrades. Ideally, we prefer players to spend some time promoting the game around them, and bring more people in the community, than taking money from them again and again. Our strength in improving the game will grow much stronger from the overall number of customers than from the game price.
In short, if you can bring 5 more players to buy the game, it is worth much more for us than making you pay 30$ for the game or 10 additional ones for an upgrade. That would be the perfect way to support our work :)
Thank you for your appreciation

SkyBlue92
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby SkyBlue92 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:59 pm

I thought I'd post my first impressions here rather than create a new thread.

Just downloaded the demo and played it for a few minutes, and I really like the approach you've taken with the game! I particularly love the shot preparation - it really makes the quality of your shot all down to you, and I presume (once I get better at the game) it would allow purposely executed inside-out forehands, something not possible other tennis games I've played.

It also makes you have to anticipate the return on volleys, you can't just tap a button with timing being the only factor, which is very realistic.

Will try it out later with my Xbox 360 controller, I imagine having LB and RB for shot preparation will be much easier than playing a game of twister with your fingers on the keyboard :lol:.

The game runs pretty well on my laptop (which is rare, it sucks :P) and the graphics/animations are very acceptable (although they are not priorities for me, I have TS3 on my 360 and would rather play other sim-based PC tennis games without the stunning gfx/anims) - I'm seriously considering purchasing the game, good work guys! I really hope this game gains more popularity, I think it deserves it! :)

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”