Network instructions - seeking opponents

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Network instructions - seeking opponents

Postby kschoice » Mon May 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Network instructions :

General

Enter your nickname in the SETTINGS menu. Do not change the port configuration unless you know what you are doing.
Hosting is only a matter of being the one who creates the game. Online design ensures that during actual play, the hosting player doesn't have any privilege.
When the game is paused, you can chat with your opponent from inside Full Ace.

We now have a matchmaking server. It should make things easier for people to play. However, there is still a limited number of Full Ace players around. If you can't find any opponents, ask here, or ask your friends to play with you (they now can access online play using the demo).
If you have problems, ask for help in this topic.

Hosting a game :

To host a game, you need to make sure your computer can listen to foreign connections. Configure a port number in Full Ace's settings menu (default is 50000), and refer to your router's manual to configure NAT (Network Address Translation) so that the UDP port which number is configured is properly forwarded to the computer running Full Ace. If you don't succeed in doing that, seek help here or just try to join other people's games.

You should also need to open the UDP port 50000 in your firewall. Here is some information from user saturnv5 in this regard :
By default, Full Ace Tennis sets the Edge traversal rule in Windows Firewall to "Defer to user". By changing
it to "Defer to application" and then setting both the Local and Remote UDP ports to 50000
(instead of "All Ports") did the trick in the end.

Run the online version of the game, choose ONLINE, then HOST A GAME. Set up game options. Wait for your opponent to connect.

Joining a game :

Run the online version of the game, choose ONLINE. If some people are ready to host a game, their nicknames should appear in the list. The list does not refresh automatically, but you can use the REFRESH button for that. Select a nickname in the list and click JOIN GAME. You'll access the exhibition screen, where you can choose your character. Click BEGIN GAME and you should be able to play.

Demo players :

Demo players may only join games hosted by other demo players, and there is a limited number of slots for that kind of games.
Besides, demo players' nicknames won't be shown in the online game list, only one demo game will be listed at once as "Demo player".

zahnfreak
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: Network instructions - seeking opponents

Postby zahnfreak » Sat May 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Does this mean I must state rather than a nickname at first my IP address? Does that mean, now I can not see online? Sorry, the manual seems well written, but something I've obviously not understood properly, maybe you can give it to a naive PC-Guy again to express more clearly, also in "UDP port 50000" and "NAT". What does this mean in practice and how can I change it?

With my firewall so far but all agreed I think.

Sorry for the trouble!

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat May 15, 2010 2:33 pm

zahnfreak wrote:Does this mean I must state rather than a nickname at first my IP address? Does that mean, now I can not see online? Sorry, the manual seems well written, but something I've obviously not understood properly, maybe you can give it to a naive PC-Guy again to express more clearly, also in "UDP port 50000" and "NAT". What does this mean in practice and how can I change it?

With my firewall so far but all agreed I think.

Sorry for the trouble!

I sent you a private message.

Bomber76
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Bomber76 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Hello, I'm Italian Andrea a new user, I bought Full Ace Tennis, please 'to me and' a great mortgage and great believer in the project. I wanted to know why the online beta I can not see any player on the list .. I Following the instructions on the server.txt but I have problems, someone can 'help me?
Thanks Andrea

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sun May 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Bomber76 wrote:Hello, I'm Italian Andrea a new user, I bought Full Ace Tennis, please 'to me and' a great mortgage and great believer in the project. I wanted to know why the online beta I can not see any player on the list .. I Following the instructions on the server.txt but I have problems, someone can 'help me?
Thanks Andrea

Online beta works in a similar way e-mails would. As you would need to acquire the e-mail address of a person before you can write her a message, you need to acquire, and put your opponent's IP in servers.txt beforehand in order to join a game.

Bomber76
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Bomber76 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I will try playing online, and someone 'available?
In my server.txt besides my nick, I just add the ip of my opponent, or even mine?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sun May 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Bomber76 wrote:I will try playing online, and someone 'available?
In my server.txt besides my nick, I just add the ip of my opponent, or even mine?

There's no need in putting your own IP there.

Bomber76
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Bomber76 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:46 pm

kschoice wrote:
Bomber76 wrote:I will try playing online, and someone 'available?

There's no need in putting your own IP there.

Ok thanks, sorry but I understand since I only bought the game yesterday ...
Edit: But it 's normal that crashes every time I close the beta online?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Bomber76 wrote:Ok thanks, sorry but I understand since I only bought the game yesterday ...

Don't worry :)

Bomber76 wrote:Edit: But it 's normal that crashes every time I close the beta online?

A crash can never be considered normal obviously. You should report it in the beta issues thread : http://forum.fullacetennis.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=164

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 am

I've added a warning and a scenario for online play in the first message this topic. I hope it will clarify network game setup with the beta.

T-Duke
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby T-Duke » Mon May 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I can confirm FaT is "lag-free" on line and very, very funny to play. Obviously the beta status give some issues sometimes. 8)

Whoever wanna test and get fun just send me a PM for a session arrangement :D

Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 pm

It is still very laggy for me, though I think for the most part may be due to my connection speed and geographical location which is Australia and 24mbit/2.4mbit.

Is there anyone in Australia here who would want to play online with me? If so, just post here or shoot me a PM.

Schaffinho
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Schaffinho » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:44 pm

I'd like to test FA online. If anyone has time please contact me via PM or icq: 324196774.

I'm really not a friend of that social network crap, but building an icq-list of online players would make finding an opponent much easier.

Just tried it online against Jay. Worked great. No lags at all. I am totally stoked.

goa master mdma
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby goa master mdma » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Jay wrote:It is still very laggy for me, though I think for the most part may be due to my connection speed and geographical location which is Australia and 24mbit/2.4mbit.

Is there anyone in Australia here who would want to play online with me? If so, just post here or shoot me a PM.

this is possible - over so far kilometers nearly every game have little lag problem -
was it still playable for you?
Last edited by goa master mdma on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I LIKE :tennis,girls,playing videogames,more girls,football,trancepartys,nice people,sun+beach,UFC

I DISLIKE:curling,the Bible and other books of fairytales,forumsspamming people,cheatingpeople,walkoverhunter,violine music,watching golf,

Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 pm

goamastemdma wrote:
Jay wrote:It is still very laggy for me, though I think for the most part may be due to my connection speed and geographical location which is Australia and 24mbit/2.4mbit.

this is possible - over so far kilometers nearly every game have little lag problem -
was it still playable for you?

It varies from player to player. The online practice match I had with Schaffinho was the best connection with any online player I've ever had. Almost no lag whereas with other players range from minor to major lag. The majority of players that I've played seem to be from Europe.

-- Jay

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”