Suggestions for Full Ace Updates

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
Thucysincarne
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Suggestions for Full Ace Updates

Postby Thucysincarne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 am

I decided to hold off on commenting on anything until I bought the game, so I could see what gameplay was like on slower surfaces than the demo one. Now that I've done that, I think I have a good enough feel for what I'm going to talk about here.

I played Tennis Elbow for about 3 years, and I have to say that in a lot of ways Full Ace is the better game. I like the serve, the wide variety of surfaces, and how it takes a while to get a feel for what shot you need to play, among other things.

What I do have a problem with is how difficult it is to change directions. If you run one way, and your opponent hits it to the side that you were at, you basically have no chance of getting back to the ball even if the shot isn't close to the line. This has a huge impact on how the game plays out, which I'll go into later.

When returning, it's very difficult to get returns back. Even if you get your racquet on the ball, which isn't always easy, the ball often goes into the net. I get that it makes sense to have to hit the ball a certain way, at a certain time, in a certain direction to get it back in. It's just very difficult to put all those factors into account when you have a 200kmh serve coming at you. Often, the easiest way to get the ball back in is to slice it, but then your opponent can easily send it back for a winner. Even slices often go into the net. And if you're able to return the serves out wide or down the T, a body serve is difficult to get back as well because you have to be very precise with where you position yourself to hit it--if it goes right at you you'll get aced. And if you go too far, you're done for--it's too difficult to move back in time because of how difficult it is to change directions. I don't know what could be done about this without any huge overhaul, but it does make it a server's game. Many of the online sets I've played have ended in tiebreaks.

I would like it if there was some shot that you could hit without having to worry about it going out unless you're in a horrible position to hit it. The slice should probably be that shot. It bothers me that if you're close to the net and try to slice--as most pros do if they're late getting to a drop shot--the ball tends to go into the net.

However, if on that same shot you try a drop shot, you're likely to produce a winner unless your opponent is already at the net. Drop shots are way too easy to hit, especially behind the baseline (Hard shots are also easier to hit behind the baseline, which is also a bit odd). I've found that one of the easiest ways to end a point is to hold down a little bit and do a drop shot. It's very difficult for your opponent to get the ball back over the net then.

It's difficult to play well at net. Not being able to hit balls that are right at you is a problem, and even when balls are hittable, they tend to go into the net, unless you use the slice button, which makes the ball sit up for your opponent to hit.

Because of the problem changing directions, it's difficult to have prolonged baseline rallies. It's just too easy to hit a winner behind your opponent, and too easy to hit an error when you're not even going for much on your shots.

Again, I applaud you, Kschoice, and your team for making a great game. I apologize for going on for so long, and I hope my suggestions were at least somewhat helpful.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 am

Thank you for that long feedback message.

Are you playing with keyboard or pad ? Could you send me some replays of you playing ? (Use the contact link at the bottom for www.fullacetennis.com)

Thucysincarne
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Thucysincarne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:32 am

kschoice wrote:Thank you for that long feedback message.

Are you playing with keyboard or pad ? Could you send me some replays of you playing ? (Use the contact link at the bottom for http://www.fullacetennis.com)

A keyboard. I suppose using a pad would be better. I'll send you a couple replays of the drop shot.

T-Duke
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby T-Duke » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 am

Volley system need some fix imho, timing and targeting is too difficult, most of volleys end on net. :wink:

KerzA
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby KerzA » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 pm

It's difficult to play well at net. Not being able to hit balls that are right at you is a problem, and even when balls are hittable, they tend to go into the net, unless you use the slice button, which makes the ball sit up for your opponent to hit.

I agree. If something need to be fix, it's the volley. It's not bad but as you said, too many balls are too far to hit and it's kinda hard to pass the ball over the net

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Schaffinho wrote:Is there any chance to integrate a spectator-mode, so I can watch other player's online-games?

It would be nice, but I must say I don't see this as a priority.

Schaffinho
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Schaffinho » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Of course not. Actually it was a very subjective suggestion and a desperate try of mine to parcipate in an online finale at ITST one day.
Finally it's a question of commensurability. If a feature like that is complicated to realize, I'd completely agree that working on the main aim (most reachable realism) is much more important.

Thucysincarne
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Thucysincarne » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:34 pm

domberg wrote:Hi,

I noticed that I just can't hit a lob too long, it will never go out regardless how long I push the stick , it will always land on the line.
suggestion:
- adjust the lob shot, make it more realistic with it can go long

I've noticed this to be true as well. Also, it's very hard to get into position to hit a smash off of a lob, and the computer doesn't seem to be able it either.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:25 pm

I agree it isn't difficult enough to pull out dropshots and lobs, especially in certain conditions. On the other hand, I believe that character's inertia when changing direction is rather realistic, and makes clever repositioning really matter.

Thucysincarne
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Thucysincarne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 am

kschoice wrote:I agree it isn't difficult enough to pull out dropshots and lobs, especially in certain conditions. On the other hand, I believe that character's inertia when changing direction is rather realistic, and makes clever repositioning really matter.

I guess you're right about the inertia. It's hard to get used to, and it does make it more difficult to have long rallies, but I guess it is realistic.

q. reese
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby q. reese » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:04 pm

T-Duke wrote:Volley system need some fix imho, timing and targeting is too difficult, most of volleys end on net. :wink:

You have to have the right sim tactic of playing on the keyboard and or gamepad to develop decent to great net-play. It did not take me much time as it did for me for Top Spin 2. Hehe. :P

Try to find a consistent technique on your input device that will assure you great net ability.
Benefactor of ITST ('05-Present)
Founder, ITST's Top Spin 1 PC Doubles Tour ('05)
Former Host for ITST ('05-'07)
Former News Writer for ITST ('05-'07)
Former Player and Recruiter of PC Tours ('05-'10):
TS1 (MS, MSS, WS, and DS), TS2 (MS and WS), and DMT

Patrick
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Patrick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 pm

I feel that this game needs a face editor and some improvements on the court&player selector because sometimes I can't find what I want. I know it's very hard to do this. Good job,

q. reese
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby q. reese » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 am

Patrick wrote:player selector because sometimes I can't find what I want.

What do you mean by the information you posted above?
Benefactor of ITST ('05-Present)
Founder, ITST's Top Spin 1 PC Doubles Tour ('05)
Former Host for ITST ('05-'07)
Former News Writer for ITST ('05-'07)
Former Player and Recruiter of PC Tours ('05-'10):
TS1 (MS, MSS, WS, and DS), TS2 (MS and WS), and DMT

Patrick
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Patrick » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I mean, when I want to find a player I want, sometimes I can't find him. So, put an option to see the players in alphabetical order or by country.
And the courts should have a nationality.
And more camera freedom like in TE.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Patrick wrote:I mean, when I want to find a player I want, sometimes I can't find him. So, put an option to see the players in alphabetical order or by country.
And the courts should have a nationality.
And more camera freedom like in TE.

I don't play TE, therefore you would have to be more specific.
Also, please read your private messages.

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”