Speed of players

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
Zinger
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Speed of players

Postby Zinger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Now that I've had a chance to play the game quite a lot, one criticism stands out strongly - the players are definitely too sluggish in their movements. They shouldn't be greyhounds but at the moment they are carthorses. If I'm on the baseline and someone plays a dropshot I can't get to it even if I set off immediately. Many a time returns sail past me not even all that close to the lines just because my player seems stuck in treacle. These things are not realistic. I appreciate the need for a certain amount of inertia but at the moment it is overdone and it's gradually killing my interest in the game.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Speed of players

Postby kschoice » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Zinger wrote:Now that I've had a chance to play the game quite a lot, one criticism stands out strongly - the players are definitely too sluggish in their movements. They shouldn't be greyhounds but at the moment they are carthorses. If I'm on the baseline and someone plays a dropshot I can't get to it even if I set off immediately. Many a time returns sail past me not even all that close to the lines just because my player seems stuck in treacle. These things are not realistic. I appreciate the need for a certain amount of inertia but at the moment it is overdone and it's gradually killing my interest in the game.

Are you playing keyboard or pad ?

Zinger
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Zinger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am

Pad. I've only been playing exhibition games, usually as a top twenty player (with good speed ratings) against much lower rated players. That fact doesn't stop them hitting the ball past me with ease. If I was moving in one direction and tried to change to the opposite direction, I could understand inertia playing a big part, but often I am not doing that and still have trouble building up speed quickly. The players are definitely too sluggish.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am

Zinger wrote:Pad. I've only been playing exhibition games, usually as a top twenty player (with good speed ratings) against much lower rated players. That fact doesn't stop them hitting the ball past me with ease. If I was moving in one direction and tried to change to the opposite direction, I could understand inertia playing a big part, but often I am not doing that and still have trouble building up speed quickly. The players are definitely too sluggish.

That's weird. Could you provide me with replays ?

Agassi74
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Agassi74 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:36 am

I do agree that the speed should be tweeked a little so that the great movers/defenders in the game can run down alot of shots > the Nadal's, Djokovic's, Murray types.
aka "MissionMaximus"

Agassi74
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Agassi74 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Just to add to what I commented on before. Increasing the speed and reaction (to be more fluid) would add alot to the rally's and make you & the CPU work to open up the court. Rather than 1 or 2 shots and the point is over.
aka "MissionMaximus"

Milos011
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Milos011 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 pm

I agree that players should be quicker. I added my comment on suggestions topic....

PatrickR
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby PatrickR » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

Zinger wrote:the players are definitely too sluggish in their movements. They shouldn't be greyhounds but at the moment they are carthorses. If I'm on the baseline and someone plays a dropshot I can't get to it even if I set off immediately.

Yeah, sometimes I have this impression, too. Dropshots are the most significant examples, but I've also experienced this when I was located somewhere in the middle of the court and had to move back and sidewards in order to play the next shot. It might be a problem that I'm playing with a joystick and maybe do not push it to its limits fast enough, but sometimes I really feel like my player is rooted on his spot. I need a sprint button. :mrgreen:

Milos011
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Milos011 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 am

I don't see sprint button as a solution...

I think I already suggested "quickness" attribute and something like "first step sprint".

Also.... "backsprint" is move that is definetily missing. When somebody lobs you, there is no way you can run back because you can't turn around.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:55 am

Milos011 wrote:I don't see sprint button as a solution...

I think I already suggested "quickness" attribute and something like "first step sprint".

There is already Speed and Acceleration.

Milos011 wrote:Also.... "backsprint" is move that is definetily missing. When somebody lobs you, there is no way you can run back because you can't turn around.

This is indeed lacking, but it's hard to come up with a good system. I prefer what we have now to what we see in most games : player who turn their back to the ball each time they move backward.

Hami
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Hami » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

But you would need the player to turn his back if he's being lobbed.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Hami wrote:But you would need the player to turn his back if he's being lobbed.

Of course, but that has to happen only in that special case.

Milos011
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Milos011 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Maybe adding another button ... something like "turning the player"???

.... in this way it would be difficult to actually return ball after being lobbed....like in real life...

...in this case you would have to involve another shot animation....hitting the ball "backwards", if you want to hit the ball in that way...

Kyros
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Kyros » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 pm

..or like Tetris, using "prepare left/right" buttons. i.e. press one "prepare button" twice and the player could run backward...

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Kyros wrote:..or like Tetris, using "prepare left/right" buttons. i.e. press one "prepare button" twice and the player could run backward...

Tricky, but interesting idea.

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”