Need career gameplay advice

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
sphanlon
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Need career gameplay advice

Postby sphanlon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 am

Just got beat in my first futures tournament. Not good. Even these low ranked guys can hit hard and at sharp angles. Any advice on gameplay strategy?

Also, does the ball type and difficulty you set in the main menu affect career at all? It doesn't feel any easier or slower after trying to change some things.

Thanks

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need career gameplay advice

Postby kschoice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am

I believe the ball type should have an impact in career mode. As long as you can see the ball is not entirely yellow, then the ball is of a slower type.

You should definitely see the difference in ball trajectories when using a slower type of ball. It would slow a lot after the bounce especially, so it gives you more time to position yourself and hit the ball. It doesn't necessarily make things easier in competition though, as it gives your opponent more time to play the ball as well.

AI parameter in the menu will also not make the game mechanically easier, it depends much on your way of playing. The best advice I can give you in order to beat your opponents is to use tutorial and practice modes a lot to make sure you master all the tools in the gameplay (especially how to hit faster, using the attack button and/or the 'double tap' to add power).

sphanlon
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby sphanlon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Attack button? Is that the hard flat shot? And I'm sure I didn't know about the double tap technique. There doesn't seem to be instructions, so I guess you need to do the tutorial.

I also seem to have a lot of errors. The computer seems able to hit the ball a bit low and shallow sometimes and I fail to get it back over the net. How do you combat that?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 pm

All instructions for gameplay are provided in the tutorial. I strongly advise you to go through it.
On low balls you need to get to them early to avoid errors, and refrain from using the attack (hard/flat shot). A lift or a slice are better solutions in that case.

sphanlon
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby sphanlon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:07 pm

What's a"lift"? Is that another name for one of the shot types? Or is it pressing up with the button?

Is it better to set the ball to a faster one? Does it help more if your opponent has less time to set even if you are running around more too?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 am

Yes, lift is a type of shot.

I think it is better to use slower balls while you're getting used to the gameplay and timings of the game, but your goal is to be able to play with faster balls eventually, as it makes the competition more interesting.

sphanlon
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby sphanlon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am

Starting to do alright. Only thing that's still ridiculous is it's near impossible for me to break serve on the top players, but that's probably as it should be realistically.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 am

Yes, but you should get to it eventually.

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”