Version 2.4.3 Update

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Version 2.4.3 Update

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:04 am

Does anybody else feel very restricted with their movement on the court? I've played this update for about ten minutes and was becoming increasingly frustrated. You would hold down a horizontal directional button (left/right) and the character would move very slowly... . Secondly, the slice animation seems to have gotten weirder :/.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Version 2.4.3 Update

Postby kschoice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 am

Jay wrote:Does anybody else feel very restricted with their movement on the court? I've played this update for about ten minutes and was becoming increasingly frustrated. You would hold down a horizontal directional button (left/right) and the character would move very slowly... .

I've played two hours yesterday without seeing this. What's your take on "very slowly" ? Maybe you could send me a replay for starters.

Jay wrote:Secondly, the slice animation seems to have gotten weirder :/.

I talked yesterday with another player who thought it was "perfect". Now, I wouldn't go that far, but I think it's better than before.

T-Duke
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby T-Duke » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 am

Yes, slice animation is definitely fine now for me too. Well done !

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 am

OK, I've watched your replay. Here is my take on what I see :

I take it from the replay that you're not using auto-prepare (good for you ! :D ). When your opponent hits his first stroke after your return, it seems to me you never prepare. And actually, this is the first thing you should do when you see which side your opponent's ball is going. Because if you don't prepare, your player's body remains oriented in front of him, and therefore it makes it difficult for him to run fast in a direction that is behind him, just as in real life.
On the other hand, if you would prepare immediately, your player's body will be oriented towards the ball, and it will allow him to run much faster towards the ball.

This is because the game design was thought so that players wouldn't turn their back to the ball when going backwards like in some other tennis games and that early preparation would be as crucial as in real life.
The reason you're seeing a difference in update 2.4.3 about this is that speed is a little more constrained in those conditions than before. It was changed in order for animations to blend more smoothly, and not seem awkward and downright buggy in certain situations. On the other hand, it is now easier to move away from the ball when it's coming right at you, even while preparing.
Anyway, I suggest you get used to prepare as early as possible, because it will make things easier for you, either in this new update or in earlier versions.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

T-Duke wrote:Yes, slice animation is definitely fine now for me too. Well done !

Nonetheless, Jay, if you can point me to things you find weird in the slice animation, I'll see what I could do about it (screenshots would be helpful).

Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm

kschoice wrote:OK, I've watched your replay. Here is my take on what I see :

I take it from the replay that you're not using auto-prepare (good for you ! :D ).

You are correct, I don't use auto-prepare :D.

When your opponent hits his first stroke after your return, it seems to me you never prepare. And actually, this is the first thing you should do when you see which side your opponent's ball is going. Because if you don't prepare, your player's body remains oriented in front of him, and therefore it makes it difficult for him to run fast in a direction that is behind him, just as in real life.
On the other hand, if you would prepare immediately, your player's body will be oriented towards the ball, and it will allow him to run much faster towards the ball.

This is because the game design was thought so that players wouldn't turn their back to the ball when going backwards like in some other tennis games and that early preparation would be as crucial as in real life.
The reason you're seeing a difference in update 2.4.3 about this is that speed is a little more constrained in those conditions than before. It was changed in order for animations to blend more smoothly, and not seem awkward and downright buggy in certain situations. On the other hand, it is now easier to move away from the ball when it's coming right at you, even while preparing.
Anyway, I suggest you get used to prepare as early as possible, because it will make things easier for you, either in this new update or in earlier versions.

I have adjusted and I must say, things are a lot smoother :), thanks KsChoice!

kschoice wrote:Jay, if you can point me to things you find weird in the slice animation, I'll see what I could do about it (screenshots would be helpful).

Actually, since I started prepare much earlier recently, it doesn't look that weird anymore. Though I did notice the character's fingers aren't positioned on the throat of the racquet when he prepares for a slice like a lot of players do:

Cheers -- Jay

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Jay wrote:I have adjusted and I must say, things are a lot smoother :), thanks KsChoice!

Great !

Jay wrote:Actually, since I started prepare much earlier recently, it doesn't look that weird anymore. Though I did notice the character's fingers aren't positioned on the throat of the racquet when he prepares for a slice like a lot of players do:

I realize that... Problem is, the way the animated model works now, if I were to make the player hold the racket with both hands, it would look really weird when he runs while preparing a slice shot. Combining the upper body movements from walking or running with holding the racket with both hands doesn't work well.
So what we have right now is a compromise, best possible I think...

Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:45 pm

kschoice wrote:
Jay wrote:I have adjusted and I must say, things are a lot smoother :), thanks KsChoice!

Great !

Jay wrote:Actually, since I started prepare much earlier recently, it doesn't look that weird anymore. Though I did notice the character's fingers aren't positioned on the throat of the racquet when he prepares for a slice like a lot of players do:

I realize that... Problem is, the way the animated model works now, if I were to make the player hold the racket with both hands, it would look really weird when he runs while preparing a slice shot. Combining the upper body movements from walking or running with holding the racket with both hands doesn't work well.
So what we have right now is a compromise, best possible I think...

Hahaha, you're right, I never thought about that but it would look like he's running with a rifle!

And I do agree we do have the best possible compromise

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Jay wrote:Hahaha, you're right, I never thought about that but it would look like he's running with a rifle!

You pictured it well :wink:
Only visually ideal solution would be to have a complete set of motions for holding the racket with both hands, but that means many more animations to maintain, and it's not really sensible with our current means.

Jay
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:55 pm

kschoice wrote:
Jay wrote:Hahaha, you're right, I never thought about that but it would look like he's running with a rifle!

You pictured it well :wink:
Only visually ideal solution would be to have a complete set of motions for holding the racket with both hands, but that means many more animations to maintain, and it's not really sensible with our current means.

Yes I quite understand as I have had experience with animation / motion capture etc at my University last year :P.

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”