ps4 controller

This is the place to talk about all aspects about the game.
Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

ps4 controller

Postby Federer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am

Can I use a ps4 controller to play the game?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ps4 controller

Postby kschoice » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

I haven't tried it myself. As long as you can install a driver that makes your pad recognized by your computer's system, you should be able to use it in Full Ace.
The simplest way to find out for sure is downloading the demo and have a try. You are very welcome to post the result here, be it positive or negative.

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:33 pm

kschoice wrote:I haven't tried it myself. As long as you can install a driver that makes your pad recognized by your computer's system, you should be able to use it in Full Ace.
The simplest way to find out for sure is downloading the demo and have a try. You are very welcome to post the result here, be it positive or negative.

Firstly you have a great game here and I want to thank you for recognising and acting upon the lack of a good tennis sim. Contrary to conventional wisdom I think this is superior to TE.

I have tried the ps4 controller and It does appear to work, although appears a bit sensitive. That can probably be adjusted somewhere.

I have a couple of questions about 'prepare left/right'.

The prepare left would be a backhand for a righty correct?

How are you meant to have time before each shot to click another button. Would it be best to assign it to the back bumper buttons as I tried to assign it to the right joystick and it just seems awkward and unnatural to have to click it before each shot?

If you don't 'prepare' the player does a weird bunt, sometimes actually a good shot. Are there situations where it is better to not 'prepare' for a shot or does the game always interpret it as a 'bad shot'. Hope that makes some sense

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Federer wrote:Firstly you have a great game here and I want to thank you for recognising and acting upon the lack of a good tennis sim. Contrary to conventional wisdom I think this is superior to TE.

Thank you for this. :wink:

Federer wrote:I have tried the ps4 controller and It does appear to work, although appears a bit sensitive. That can probably be adjusted somewhere.

Maybe during the calibration. I don't know for sure.

Federer wrote:I have a couple of questions about 'prepare left/right'.

The prepare left would be a backhand for a righty correct?

How are you meant to have time before each shot to click another button. Would it be best to assign it to the back bumper buttons as I tried to assign it to the right joystick and it just seems awkward and unnatural to have to click it before each shot?

If you don't 'prepare' the player does a weird bunt, sometimes actually a good shot. Are there situations where it is better to not 'prepare' for a shot or does the game always interpret it as a 'bad shot'. Hope that makes some sense

Indeed, prepare left would be a backhand for a righty, and a forehand for a lefty. In our view, those buttons are meant to be mapped on the L1-R1 trigger buttons on a PlayStation pad, which is straightforward enough, and allows you to quickly reach for X, square, circle and triangle buttons and make your actual choice of shot.

According to Full Ace gameplay, not preparing would be equivalent to volleying, which intuitively should not wield good results from the baseline. However, as you pointed out, the game is currently setup that it often produces acceptable results in this situation. I concede that it should be probably be changed, but as it never proved enough of an issue, I neglected to modify it so far.

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Having played a few matches I now think the ps4 controller works fine.

Thanks switching to the l1, r1 bumpers is much better. Although a naff game in general Top spin 4 had it that you pressed L2 if you wanted to run around your forehand; otherwise you hit a forehand or backhand according to where you were. What made you decide against implementing that system?

What I like about this game is that you can use strategy to construct points. Whereas games like top spin 4 make tennis little more than a glorified game of pong. Unfortunately tennis in real life has also gone someway down that path due to no restrictions on string technology and the subsequent homogenization of surfaces and playing styles.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:37 am

Federer wrote:Having played a few matches I now think the ps4 controller works fine.

Thanks switching to the l1, r1 bumpers is much better. Although a naff game in general Top spin 4 had it that you pressed L2 if you wanted to run around your forehand; otherwise you hit a forehand or backhand according to where you were. What made you decide against implementing that system?

What I like about this game is that you can use strategy to construct points. Whereas games like top spin 4 make tennis little more than a glorified game of pong. Unfortunately tennis in real life has also gone someway down that path due to no restrictions on string technology and the subsequent homogenization of surfaces and playing styles.

It seems we are on the same page about tennis in general, but to be fair, that doesn't surprise me at all based on the login you chose :wink:. To me, tennis at the highest level should involve fast-paced action, swift reaction, at least on some surfaces... I miss the variety of surfaces we had in the 90s, and I tried to maintain that in Full Ace. And to think that recently we have a top player publicly asking for even slower balls... :roll:

I didn't opt for the Top Spin 4 principle as I think it makes more sense to me, as a tennis player in real life, to actively choose to prepare a forehand or backhand ground shot. More than that, it makes it easier to prevent the disturbing sight of the player on-screen running towards the ball, then revert 180° to run around his forehand.

I hate to talk bad about other tennis games on this forum, but since you brought it up, I must say I agree that Top Spin 4 is little more than a glorified game of Pong, I actually could have used those same words. I think the biggest flaw in that game is the enormous character inertia after hitting shots, and the combination of unnaturally slow balls/superhuman accelerations used to compensate. Because of it, I found it useless to even attempt to wrong foot your opponent, which eventually makes the game utterly boring.

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't understand how the serve works. I'm guessing the more red bar you allow the better potential for the serve, but a higher risk of straying into the red?

The tutorial suggests that hitting the ball on the cusp between the red and orange zone is the sweet spot but many times I have served with that and the ball goes out.

Hitting in the green zone produces the least risk serve I'm guessing? But still many times there is an error. I realise you have introduce some chance so as to eliminate perfect servers, but I feel as though I am missing something fundamental in how to serve.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Federer wrote:I don't understand how the serve works. I'm guessing the more red bar you allow the better potential for the serve, but a higher risk of straying into the red?

The tutorial suggests that hitting the ball on the cusp between the red and orange zone is the sweet spot but many times I have served with that and the ball goes out.

Hitting in the green zone produces the least risk serve I'm guessing? But still many times there is an error. I realise you have introduce some chance so as to eliminate perfect servers, but I feel as though I am missing something fundamental in how to serve.

The more red you allow, the harder you hit the ball. Anyhow, you have to time your click at the highest spot possible for the better accuracy. But errors will harm hard hits more than soft hits.
Are you using analog pad or directional buttons for movement/aiming ?

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm

kschoice wrote:
Federer wrote:I don't understand how the serve works. I'm guessing the more red bar you allow the better potential for the serve, but a higher risk of straying into the red?

The more red you allow, the harder you hit the ball. Anyhow, you have to time your click at the highest spot possible for the better accuracy. But errors will harm hard hits more than soft hits.
Are you using analog pad or directional buttons for movement/aiming ?

After experimenting, I think I have misremembered the tutorial. You have to stop it at the top of the bar for the best. I am using a ps4 pad.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Federer wrote:After experimenting, I think I have misremembered the tutorial. You have to stop it at the top of the bar for the best. I am using a ps4 pad.

I just wanted to make sure you used the left analog pad, and not the directional buttons. Analog allows you to aim more precisely.

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

kschoice wrote:
Federer wrote:After experimenting, I think I have misremembered the tutorial. You have to stop it at the top of the bar for the best. I am using a ps4 pad.

I just wanted to make sure you used the left analog pad, and not the directional buttons. Analog allows you to aim more precisely.

Hi, sorry to trouble you again but I have a question about shot direction. If I aim down the line and it goes wide, and my positioning was ok, does that mean I hit it too late and vice versa for crosscourt?

Many routine shots of mine go out, which was not happening on the demo. The difference there was that I using autoprep and keyboard. Another thing I have noticed is so many of my shots (if they are not out) end up on the line. I would like a bit more safety in some of my shots.

So my question is 'what determines shot direction (apart from the general direction you choose ?').

Despite my troubles still managed to have an epic 5 setter (I'm playing with Laden so his stats make up for my shortcomings) in which I nearly came back from 2 sets and was a break up in the fifth before I got careless.

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:12 am

Federer wrote:Hi, sorry to trouble you again but I have a question about shot direction. If I aim down the line and it goes wide, and my positioning was ok, does that mean I hit it too late and vice versa for crosscourt?

Many routine shots of mine go out, which was not happening on the demo. The difference there was that I using autoprep and keyboard. Another thing I have noticed is so many of my shots (if they are not out) end up on the line. I would like a bit more safety in some of my shots.

So my question is 'what determines shot direction (apart from the general direction you choose ?').

Despite my troubles still managed to have an epic 5 setter (I'm playing with Laden so his stats make up for my shortcomings) in which I nearly came back from 2 sets and was a break up in the fifth before I got careless.

Mistiming your shots does not have a definite result on the outcome. It just increases the margin of error of your shot. Other factors increase the margin of error, like the speed of the incoming shot, the speed of the shot you're attempting, the quality of your placement.

It is up to you to use your analog pad to aim closer or farther from the lines depending on how confident you are about the shot you are attempting.

I didn't understand, did you say that you used to play with keyboard or that you now play with keyboard ?

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 am

kschoice wrote:
Federer wrote:Hi, sorry to trouble you again but I have a question about shot direction. If I aim down the line and it goes wide, and my positioning was ok, does that mean I hit it too late and vice versa for crosscourt?

Mistiming your shots does not have a definite result on the outcome. It just increases the margin of error of your shot. Other factors increase the margin of error, like the speed of the incoming shot, the speed of the shot you're attempting, the quality of your placement.

It is up to you to use your analog pad to aim closer or farther from the lines depending on how confident you are about the shot you are attempting.

I didn't understand, did you say that you used to play with keyboard or that you now play with keyboard ?

I used to play with a keyboard and autoprep and I could consistently hit very good shots. Also I played on easy. Now I play on medium without autoprep with a ps4 controller.

So the game does not operate on the principle that the earlier you hit the more 'crosscourt' (centre of the court if you were aiming DTL) the shot is likely to go?

kschoice
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kschoice » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:48 am

Federer wrote:I used to play with a keyboard and autoprep and I could consistently hit very good shots. Also I played on easy. Now I play on medium without autoprep with a ps4 controller.

The key part is probably that you switched to medium. Balls travel faster, therefore margin of error has increased. On the other hand, analog aim on the ps4 pad should allow you to be more precise on the margin you take from the lines.

Federer wrote:So the game does not operate on the principle that the earlier you hit the more 'crosscourt' (centre of the court if you were aiming DTL) the shot is likely to go?

I know some other games work on this principle, but Full Ace doesn't at all, and this is my reasoning behind it : in Full Ace, I assumed that your pad is supposed to give instructions to the 'brain' of your character on-screen. In real life tennis, I believe that any experienced player's brain will try and compensate for any early (or late) hitting compared to the aiming, in order to try and reach the target. Now, when hitting early, for example, the two following things are, I think, roughly equally likely to happen : the brain didn't compensate enough, and the ball will be more 'crosscourt' than aimed, or the brain compensated too much, and the ball will be less 'crosscourt' than planned, resulting in an evenly distributed range of error around the actual target.

Does that make sense to you ?

Federer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Federer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am

kschoice wrote:
I know some other games work on this principle, but Full Ace doesn't at all, and this is my reasoning behind it : in Full Ace, I assumed that your pad is supposed to give instructions to the 'brain' of your character on-screen. In real life tennis, I believe that any experienced player's brain will try and compensate for any early (or late) hitting compared to the aiming, in order to try and reach the target. Now, when hitting early, for example, the two following things are, I think, roughly equally likely to happen : the brain didn't compensate enough, and the ball will be more 'crosscourt' than aimed, or the brain compensated too much, and the ball will be less 'crosscourt' than planned, resulting in an evenly distributed range of error around the actual target.

Does that make sense to you ?

Yes, I completely agree actually. Also using that system would make certain 'wonder shots' impossible e.g. a player on the full run trying to hit a shot down the line.

My only question is how does your system work on a keyboard since there is only absolute left and absolute right ?

Return to “General Full Ace discussions”